[Python-Dev] True division in embedded Python

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 29 May 2002 21:06:04 -0400

> > Would you consider upgrading to 2.2.2 when it comes out, and
> > subsequent bugfix releases?  The goal for those releases is
> > to make the upgrade 100% painless.
>
> We would probably consider it. What it comes down to is whether the new
> release is binary compatible (which I'm assuming it is), and if it
> included a bugfix that we found prudent to incorporate.

Yes, it would be binary compatible -- that's one of the
characteristics of bugfix releases.  And it would come with the
promise of better stability.  (Which may or may not be an issue for
you depending on whether you're experiencing instability -- many
people have no problems.)

> Don't misunderstand me, it's not that we don't want to update -- the
> developers here would probably be quite happy to work on the latest
> and greatest -- updating just inherently takes time (money) and it's
> not very exciting work. We'd just rather spend our time on something
> that has a more direct revenue source :-)

You may not be aware of it, but in the recent past this position has
been made abundantly clear to me, and I agree.  I just want people to
be reasonable -- if you're not going to upgrade to 2.2.2, I wonder why
we should put the effort in even producing it. ;-)