[Python-Dev] deprecating string module?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 29 May 2002 21:07:49 -0400

> > Also, the data objects obviously have to be put somewhere.  Before
> > doing any of this, we need to decide where this stuff belongs.  I
> > doubt the technical effort involved will be too challenging.
>
> So we don't need to make a decision today, right? We can delay that
> until those easy problems are solved.

What about my proposal to get rid of the data objects and add a few
isxxx() methods instead?  I don't think that the data objects have any
other function except for membership testing, and a method can be
faster.  The method approach will also make locale-awareness easier
(since the method can use <ctype.h> which is already locale-aware).