[Python-Dev] Making distutils string-free?

Fri, 31 May 2002 10:45:31 -0400

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 10:37:17AM -0400, Neal Norwitz wrote:
>There's also some uses of string in xml/, compiler/, and lib-tk/Tix.py.
>Can these all be removed?

The use of 'string' in xml/ likely stems from the original PyXML code
aiming to run with 1.5.2.  Adding string methods will cause divergence
from the PyXML code base for no good reason; I'd suggest leaving it
alone.  String methods will appear as the PyXML code begins to use
them.

As for Distutils, I again don't see the need to use string methods
everywhere.  (Though admittedly I have no plans to issue a standalone
release again, and presumably neither does Greg.)

--amk