[Python-Dev] Becoming a python contributor

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 00:51:39 +0100

On vrijdag, november 1, 2002, at 09:53 , Martin v. Loewis wrote:

>> Another strategy would be for developers to take over maintenance of
>> certain parts of the code. We should then probably have a list of
>> maintainers for the various parts on the patch submission list to
>> make the assignment process easier for the submitting parties.
>
> I don't really think this would work. I quite dislike the idea of
> somebody being "responsible" for some area of the code, being able to
> overrule his peers merely by his position - except for the BDFL, of
> course.

I think that part of the problem is that large areas *are*
de-facto controlled by one person (or, at best, a few people).
If the word "Unicode" shows up I expectantly start looking in
your or MAL's direction. Likewise, if "Macintosh" appears
everyone starts staring at me. And the areas that don't have a
clear champion either get ignored, or passed on to Guido, or
picked up by yourself or Michael or one of the very few other
people who do general firefighting.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -