[Python-Dev] Possible ideas from Strongtalk (static typing for Smalltalk)?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 05 Nov 2002 17:44:11 -0500

> I recently came across an announcement about the the Strongtalk system,
> which contains the first fully developed strong, static type system for
> Smalltalk. I wondered whether there might be useful ideas there for those
> looking into static typing for Python.
>
> http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/projects/strongtalk/pages/index.html

You have to download and install their Windows app and run it in order
to get some documentation about the type system.  I did, and it's
pretty theoretically clean (as you'd expect from a Smalltalk system).
It has a pretty conventional way to describe method signatures,
including a way to define type variables implicitly, so you can define
e.g. a function taking two lists whose return type is a tuple of the
item types of the arguments.  One thing that I hadn't seen before is
the little language they use that allows you to say things like that.