[Python-Dev] would warnings be appropriate for probably-misused global statements?

Chermside, Michael mchermside@ingdirect.com
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 13:33:31 -0500

> I'm starting to think that it might help overcome that=20
> confusion if "global" gave warnings when used in =
probably-inappropriate ways:=20
> not inside a function, or about a variable that the function does not, =
in=20
> fact, bind nor re-bind.  Is there agreement that this might be =
helpful?

That sounds helpful to me. Essentially you're declaring that it's an
error (well... warning) to use the global statement in a context where
it can perform no possible function. And given the name, it's an easy
mistake for newbies to make... assuming that all "global variables" need
the "global" statement.

-- Michael Chermside