[Python-Dev] Getting python-bz2 into 2.3

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer@conectiva.com
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 19:35:11 -0200

Hi Michael!

>   In a related question, does python have tar support (I haven't had
> a chance to investigate thoroughly)? I got the impression it didn't,
> which is kinda weird since zip is a supporting archive, and gz and bz2
> will be, but there's no unix-y tar. But I'm sure someone will correct
> me and say I'm wrong :)

Not yet. But there's a module, named tarfile, being actively developed
by Lars Gustäbel. It already includes most of the important GNU
extensions for the tar format. I hope to include in the standard library
eventually.

More information at http://www.gustaebel.de/lars/tarfile/.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer

[ 2AAC 7928 0FBF 0299 5EB5  60E2 2253 B29A 6664 3A0C ]