[Python-Dev] Reindenting unicodedata.c

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 15:36:02 -0500

    TP> [Martin v. Loewis]
    >> While working on unicodedata.c, I found that its indentation
    >> does not follow PEP 7. Is it ok to reindent it (i.e. use tabs)?

    TP> Probably not, but I'd be in favor of it.  unicodeobject.c too,
    TP> and _sre.c, and _hotshot.c, and ... the PEP 7 std is simply
    TP> ignored.

And just to make sure Martin totally abandons this folly <sink>, I'll
start a little mini-flamewar on the all-tabs recommendation in PEP
7. :)

I think all-tabs is just fine for existing C code, but I think we
should encourage new C code (or re-indented C code) to use all spaces
and 4 space indents.  Think of how much more readable eval_frame()
would be if that were the case. :)

My specific recommendation is Emacs-specific: use the CC Mode "python"
style, but with (setq c-basic-offset 8) and (setq indent-tabs-mode nil)
I can provide some elisp if there's any interest.

-Barry