[Python-Dev] Snake farm

Marc Recht marc@informatik.uni-bremen.de
10 Nov 2002 22:10:57 +0100

--=-mOAlS1+EMNx63+zZlxlu

> > (patch attached). But the cleanest way would be to not define
> > _XOPEN_SOURCE, XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED and _POSIX_C_SOURCE on FreeBSD 5.
>=20
> Notice that issues are different on the various BSDs.
I know. And if there are issues they should be resolved for each BSD.

> I think of Python on Unix as "POSIX+Extensions". On all POSIX systems,
> _XOPEN_SOURCE should be defined. If additional defines are needed to
> activate extensions, we should define them.
The clean way on FreeBSD is then _not_ to define the above defines. We
then get everything we want.=20
If you define _POSIX_C_SOURCE you get _POSIX_C_SOURCE. Not more, not
less..

> If FreeBSD has no mechanisms to request extensions other than defining
> __BSD_VISIBLE, we should define it. Before doing so, I'd like to know
> what Python features would need that.
Setting __BSD_VISIBLE is rather a hack and shouldn't be done..
Please have a look at the patch, which I submitted on SourceForge. (It's so=
mewhat like=20
Hye-Shik Chang patch.)

> Please don't post patches to python-dev.
Sorry..

Marc

--=20
"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." -- Donald E. Knuth

--=-mOAlS1+EMNx63+zZlxlu

--=-mOAlS1+EMNx63+zZlxlu--