[Python-Dev] PEP html display in IE

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:23:41 +1100

> A) http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0258.html

Error as before: "Use of default namespace declaration attribute in DTD not
..."
> B) http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0258-moved-comment.html

Same error, different place.

> C) http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0258-no-comment.html

Works

> D) http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0258-no-doctype.html

Works as XML view of doc

> E) http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0258-no-xml.html

Works.

> F) http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0258-no-nothing.html

Works

> G) http://docutils.sf.net/spec/pep-0258.html (to compare servers)

Error as for A).

> The only thing I've done recently is to add an "AUTO-GENERATED HTML;
> DO NOT EDIT!" comment to PEPs.  I did the same thing to plaintext PEPs
> though (PEP 0, PEP 1).  Plaintext PEPs don't have the "<?xml?>"
> processing instruction at the top, so it may be an interaction.

Moving this comment inside the html entity also seems to work, ie:

<!--
This HTML is auto-generated.  DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE!  If you are writing a
new
PEP, see http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0001.html for instructions and links
to templates.  DO NOT USE THIS HTML FILE AS YOUR TEMPLATE!
-->
<head>

> So what's the solution?  Ignore the browser bug or work around it?

Ignoring wont work <wink>.

Mark.