[Python-Dev] Python interface to attribute descriptors

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:33:28 -0500

> a. The C-API document doesn't document these functions beyond giving
> their signatures. This is even true in the development version, as far
> as I can tell.

Yes.  Alas, the documention project for new-style classes is way
behind.  I could use some help. :-(

> b. There is no Python API; you can define a class with some methods with
> the right names and signatures and it will come tantalizingly close to
> working for some purposes but sooner or later you find that you just
> aren't allowed to play as a first-class citizen from Python.

Can you show an example of something that doesn't work?  I'm pretty
sure this works correctly, as long as you stay far away from classic
classes.

> Has anyone already done either of these tasks?
>
> On the bright side, I did manage to make a metaclass without my head
> going critical. Smoke came out my ears, though.

What color?