[Python-Dev] Adopting Optik

Brett Cannon drifty@bigfoot.com
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:28:12 -0800 (PST)

[Greg Ewing]

> Brett Cannon <bac@OCF.Berkeley.EDU>:
>
> > Best I can do is ArgParser or something to try to tie the name into
> > sys.argv.
>
> How about argvparse, by analogy with urlparse?

+1

As David Abrahams pointed out in another email, having the "v" in their
helps deal with any possible ambiguity.

Now I know Guido suggested ``optlib`` and Greg liked it.  But I don't like
the idea of associating the package with the *lib modules in the stdlib.
If you look at the stdlib we have modules like ftplib, htmllib, zlib, and
urllib.  I view these modules as collections of methods and classes that
have a common theme, but where each method and class can be used in
isolation; they are collections of utility methods and classes.  They are
not part of some single, large functionality like Optik is.

And yes, I realize that urlparse is more like what I described above, but
it is not a habit in the library yet.

But if this *lib association sticks, I like ``optlib``.

And since all of these name suggestions are ending up in all of these
emails (and I have to know them for the Summary anyway), the following is
best as I know so far.  If someone has thrown their support behind another
name, I only list their last supported name.

optlib: Guido van Rossum, Greg Ward

cmdline:
cmdopts: Ka-Ping Yee, David Abrahams

argvparse: Greg Ewing, Brett Cannon