[Python-Dev] Printing and __unicode__

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
14 Nov 2002 12:46:38 +0000

martin@v.loewis.de (Martin v. Loewis) writes:

> "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:
>
> > I think that StringIO and cStringIO should be regarded as
> > binary streams without any encoding knowledge. It is easy
> > enough to wrap these into Unicode aware streams using the
> > codecs.StreamReaderWriter class as is done in codecs.open().
>
> Then why did you fix that behaviour when you broke it?

Because people had come to rely on it and their code broke in the 2.1
-> 2.2 transition.  I don't think it was intentional.  At least that's
what I remember from the time.

This argument suggests that we perhaps shouldn't change StringIO
again...

Cheers,
M.

--
  I wouldn't trust the Anglo-Saxons for much anything else.  Given
  they way English is spelled, who could trust them on _anything_ that