[Python-Dev] Killing off bdist_dumb

Jp Calderone exarkun@meson.dyndns.org
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:50:12 -0500

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 08:23:06PM +0100, Thomas Heller wrote:
> Jp Calderone <exarkun@meson.dyndns.org> writes:
>=20
> > > [snip]
> >=20
> >   FWIW, I do this with just about every release I make (and I'm a bit
> > surprised to hear that this isn't a common thing).  While I do have a
> > Windows machine I *could* build releases on (with cygwin though, not MS=
VC),
> > my release process is mostly automated, and runs on a Linux box.  I don=
't
> > think the thread is headed in this direction, but just in case, *please*
> > don't break this feature :)
>=20
> Hm, I sent out the previous post too early.
> I really didn't know this.
>=20
> What project is this?

  I do it for the two I'm maintaining/developing on my own -- 'pynfo' and
'originalgamer' on sourceforge.net (the former of which I just did the
initial release for a couple days ago).

  Twisted (http://www.twistedmatrix.com), which doesn't currently build
bdist_wininst packages on Linux, would definitely like to once there's a
viable cross-compilation solution for the handful of .c files it includes.
The current process for building the windows installer involves vmware, and
is generally a pain.

  I'm assuming native compiled modules wouldn't pose any additional problems
for bdist_wininst, since they can just be wrapped up like any other file,
and plopped down onto the target system, and anyway, building bdist_wininst
on windows must already take care of it, right?

Jp

--
#!/bin/bash
( LIST=3D(~/.netscape/sigs/*.sig)