[Python-Dev] bsddb3 imported

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:56:33 -0600

    Martin> I have now imported bsddb3 3.4.0.

    SM> I take it that database files created before the switch will still
    SM> work as long as the same underlying version of the Sleepycat
    SM> libraries is used, yes?

    BAW> Depends.  API version <> file format version.

    BAW> The good news is that Berkeley will complain loudly if you're
    BAW> incompatible, and there are tools for upgrading your database
    BAW> files.

Yes, I realize API version != file version.  What I was getting at was that
if I did something like

    db = bsddb.hashopen("foo", "c")
    db["1"] = "1"
    db.close()

under the old bsddb module using Sleepycat 4.0.14, can I be assured that

    db = bsddb.hashopen("foo")
    print db["1"]
    db.close()

will work with the new bsddb module?

There should be no surprises in the common case, yes?

Skip