[Python-Dev] Need some configure eyeballs and testing

John Hunter jdhunter@ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 19:48:33 -0600

    Skip> I uploaded the context diffs using Internet Explorer on my
    Skip> Mac.  I just downloaded it to my Linux laptop using Opera
    Skip> and noticed a bit of corruption (NULs at the start and the
    Skip> end).  The file is fine on my Mac.  Downloading on the Mac
    Skip> with IE generates an okay file, but Mac+Opera also results
    Skip> in corruption.  If you can't get a clean file, let me know
    Skip> and I'll be happy to mail it to you.

I got these too, both in opera and with wget.  But I edited them out
with emacs and the patch applied correctly.

    Skip> I can use some extra eyeballs if you have a few moments to
    Skip> spare.  To save bandwidth on the group, I opened a patch at

I compiled your patched CVS under a few systems I have available.  I
just did the default thing each time (./configure; make; make test).
If there is something more strenuous you'd like me to try, I still
have the build dirs.

Everything went fairly smoothly: python built on every system, though
there were some failed and/or skipped tests on each platform.  I have
the platform/OS/gcc version below, as well as the 'make test' summary.
test_signal hangs on the sun solaris platform; I have no idea what is
causing this.

Tomorrow I may get a chance to test it on an old IRIX box.  It'll
probably take a day to compile though, if I'm lucky.

John Hunter

SunOS ace 5.8 Generic_108528-09 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

make test runs fine then hangs on test_signal

# ./gcc --version
2.95.3

# ./make --version
GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for sparc-sun-solaris2.8

./configure; make  ran normally

AMD Athlon XP with RHL 7.1 running kernel 2.4.2

make test

204 tests OK.
1 test failed:
    test_linuxaudiodev
14 tests skipped:
    test_al test_bsddb3 test_cd test_cl test_curses test_email_codecs
    test_gl test_imgfile test_pep277 test_socket_ssl test_socketserver
    test_sunaudiodev test_winreg test_winsound
1 skip unexpected on linux2:
    test_bsddb3
make: *** [test] Error 1

[root@cruncher1 src]# uname -a
Linux cruncher1.paradise.lost 2.4.2-2 #1 Sun Apr 8 20:41:30 EDT 2001
i686 unknown

[root@cruncher1 src]# gcc --version
2.96

[root@cruncher1 src]# make --version
GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for i386-redhat-linux-gnu

[root@cruncher1 /root]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 6
model	        : 6
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz	        : 1541.261
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
flags	        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic
sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext
3dnow
bogomips	: 3073.63

Redhat linux 8.0 on Pentium III with gcc 3.2

configure/make were normal

make test terminated on the audiodev test.  I am 99.99% sure this is
all my fault since I installed the audio modules with -f against my
kernel's pleading

test_largefile
test_linuxaudiodev
make: *** [test] Floating point exception

[root@video src]# gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)

[root@video src]# make --version
GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for i386-redhat-linux-gnu

[root@video src]# uname -a
Linux video.paradise.lost 2.4.18-14 #1 Wed Sep 4 13:35:50 EDT 2002
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

[root@video src]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor   : 0
vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
cpu family  : 6
model	      : 8
model name    : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping      : 1
cpu MHz		: 797.976
cache size	: 256 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		  : no
f00f_bug	  : no
coma_bug	  : no
fpu		    : yes
fpu_exception	    : yes
cpuid level	    : 2
wp		    : yes
flags		      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr
pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips     : 1586.32

Pentium III running RHL 7.1 with gcc 3.2

configure/make were normal

make test

204 tests OK.
15 tests skipped:
    test_al test_bsddb3 test_cd test_cl test_curses test_email_codecs
    test_gl test_imgfile test_linuxaudiodev test_pep277
    test_socket_ssl test_socketserver test_sunaudiodev test_winreg
    test_winsound
2 skips unexpected on linux2:
    test_bsddb3 test_linuxaudiodev

mother:~/python/src/cvs/python/dist/src> gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.2

mother:~/python/src/cvs/python/dist/src> make --version
GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.

mother:~/python/src/cvs/python/dist/src> uname -a
Linux mother.paradise.lost 2.4.9 #7 Fri Oct 12 15:20:49 CDT 2001 i686

mother:~/python/src/cvs/python/dist/src> cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor				 : 0
vendor_id				 : GenuineIntel
cpu family				 : 6
model					 : 8
model name				 : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping				 : 6
cpu MHz					 : 937.551
cache size				 : 256 KB
fdiv_bug				 : no
hlt_bug					 : no
f00f_bug				 : no
coma_bug				 : no
fpu				         : yes
fpu_exception				 : yes
cpuid level				 : 2
wp					 : yes
flags					 : fpu vme de pse
tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips    : 1867.77