[Python-Dev] --disable-unicode, again

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
22 Nov 2002 10:37:49 +0000

"Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik@pythonware.com> writes:

> Michael Hudson wrote:
>
> > I think I've asked this before, but does anyone use this build?
> > Should I spend some time patching things up -- again -- or ripping
> > --disable-unicode support out.  *I* don't care about it.
>
> you missed the third option: since you don't care, don't do anything.

That's what I'd been doing since it broke a couple of months back.

> isn't the idea that "the first one who really needs this has to fix it"?

Maybe, but having a configure option so conspicuously broken seemed a
bit embarrassing.

I also got tired of the failure reports from my cronjob every night --
got a couple of warnings last night, but it built.

> (adding a comment along those lines to the right place might be a
> good idea, though...)

Where is the right place?  It had occurred to me to stencil "don't
forget the --disable-unicode build!" along the top of every Python
developer's monitor, but that didn't seem practical.

Cheers,
M.

--
  I have a cat, so I know that when she digs her very sharp claws into
  my chest or stomach it's really a sign of affection, but I don't see