[Python-Dev] Expect in python

Zack Weinberg zack@codesourcery.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:10:32 -0800

"Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com> writes:

> Martin v. Loewis <martin@v.loewis.de>:
>> As you can see, I don't care that much about usefulness of the
>> module (although I'm sure others here will); to me, if users say it
>> is useful, and maintenance is clear, and it does not come with a
>> huge C library that you need to build, I'm fine with incorporating
>> it - provided there is somebody I can assign bug reports to.

I'd like to say here that this module would be quite useful to me.  My
employer is working on a replacement for DejaGNU (see
http://www.codesourcery.com/qm/qmtest/) which is written in Python.
Since DejaGNU uses expect, we're going to need equivalent
functionality from somewhere.

> No C.  That's one of the good things about this implementation;
> it's pure Python, relying only on the existing pty module.

Which reminds me that the existing pty module needs some portability
work; it only supports a subset of platforms.  I will see if I can
find the time to improve it.

zw