[Python-Dev] Re: Yet another string formatting proposal

Oren Tirosh oren-py-d@hishome.net
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:29:19 -0500

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 09:00:30AM -0500, Chermside, Michael wrote:
> But this one is good.  It's best features are that it is
> _simple_, and _elegant_.

Thanks!

> I would prefer \{} over \() because it
> is more distinctive ("\(" being used in REs), and somehow the
> {} seem more consistent with "execution" and () with "grouping"
> across a broad range of languages.

Yes, I'm starting to lean in the direction of \{}, too.

> I'm also bit dubious about the name "cook" (cute though!).

The rationale behind the name wasn't just "cuteness". The effect
of this method is the exact opposite of the "raw" prefix so the
name "cook" was the most natural and descriptive choice. Got any
other ideas?

> +1 (but, of course, that vote doesn't count until there's a PEP
> to refer to).

Just wanted to sample the water first. I bet everyone is already
sick of this subject after two PEPs, several other proposals, endless
discussions and no results.

	Oren