[Python-Dev] Half-baked proposal: * (and **?) in assignments

Brian Quinlan brian@sweetapp.com
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 12:27:38 -0800

Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> It depends on the reader. A reader familiar with the time module will
> recognize tm_foo as a field of struct tm, and then figure out what
> field it is.

A reader familiar with the time module might have the meaning of each
element of the 9-tuple memorized.

> That the field is called mday and not just day is
> surprising; if the reader is surprised enough, he will look up the
> documentation, and the rationale will become clear immediately.

The meaning of the fields is documented in the development documentation
but not in the current release documentation. I'm not sure why...

And the day field being called "mday" is still a mystery to me. So is
the "tm_" prefix.

Cheers,
Brian