[Python-Dev] test failures on Debian unstable

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
24 Nov 2002 09:34:35 +0100

Tim Peters <tim.one@comcast.net> writes:

> test_normalization should probably be changed to a -u thing, and put in
> regrtest's "expected skip" list on all platforms (it requires a giant text
> file of test cases that isn't checked into the project).

What -u would you propose?

> test_bsddb3 is already in already a regrtest -u thingie, so should be in the
> expected-skip list on all boxes.

I don't like the expected-skip mechanism at all. Why does being Linux
(or HP-UX) has anything to do with whether we can run the
test_normalization test; that test is completely platform-independent.

Why is it expected that test_bz2 works on Linux? It won't work if you
don't have the libraries.

Instead, I would expect that test_bz2 works if the bz2 module is
present, and fails to work if it was not built. Likewise for
test_normalization: If a certain file is present, it should succeed,
otherwise, it should fail.

Regards,
Martin