[Python-Dev] Re: release22-maint branch broken

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
25 Nov 2002 13:56:20 +0000

Tim Rice <tim@multitalents.net> writes:

> On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, A.M. Kuchling wrote:
>
> > Tim Rice wrote:
> >
> > >     raise DistutilsPlatformError(my_msg)
> > > distutils.errors.DistutilsPlatformError: invalid Python installation:
> > > unable to open /usr/local/lib/python2.2/config/Makefile (No such file
> > > or directory)
> > > gmake: *** [sharedmods] Error 1
> >
> > The revised version of sysconfig.py figures out if it's in the build
> > directory by looking for a landmark file; the landmark is Modules/Setup.
> > Does that file exist?
>
> Yes it does.
>
> I put some prints in
> argv0_path = os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(sys.executable))
> print argv0_path
> landmark = os.path.join(argv0_path, "Modules", "Setup")
> print landmark
> if not os.path.isfile(landmark):
>     python_build = 0
>     print "python_build = 0"
> elif os.path.isfile(os.path.join(argv0_path, "Lib", "os.py")):
>     python_build = 1
>     print "python_build = 1"
> else:
>     python_build = os.path.isfile(os.path.join(os.path.dirname(argv0_path),
>                                                "Lib", "os.py"))
>     print "else"
> print python_build
> del argv0_path, landmark
>
> And get
> /usr/local/src/utils/Python-2
> /usr/local/src/utils/Python-2/Modules/Setup
> else
> 0
> running build
>
> Could this breaking because I build outside of the source tree?

I guess so.

Where are you building?  Why is sys.executable
/usr/local/src/utils/Python-2/python?  At least it looks like that's
what's happened.

Can you try (in your build directory)

$ ./python
>>> print sys.executable

and see if that looks reasonable?

Cheers,
M.

--
  Monte Carlo sampling is no way to understand code.
                                  -- Gordon McMillan, comp.lang.python