[Python-Dev] Dictionary evaluation order

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer@conectiva.com
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:09:02 -0200

> Note that the primary point of the referenced bug report
>
>     <http://www.python.org/sf/448679>  Left to right
>
> is that the Ref Man doesn't really address Python's evaluation order.

Yes, I'm aware about that. I'd just like to fix that, or to document the
exception, together with the evaluation order documentation.

> Guido has said he intended left-to-right, in which case the dict
> example would be an endcase glitch.  I don't believe the language
> definition currently requires or forbids any specific eval order here,
> though.

Ok. I can take the following conclusions then. Please, correct me if
I'm wrong.

- everyone seems to agree that the current behavior is not set in stone;
- no one should expect the current behavior, as it is not documented,
  and not good to expect such language behavior anyway;
- having the L2R order where possible would be good and was
  originaly intended;
- Jython already uses L2R in that case as well;

Based on that, I'll write a suggested solution including documentation,
and post for review.

Thanks everyone.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer

[ 2AAC 7928 0FBF 0299 5EB5  60E2 2253 B29A 6664 3A0C ]