[Python-Dev] tclInt.h?

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
26 Nov 2002 23:15:04 +0100

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:

> _tkinter.c now includes <tclInt.h>.  I don't seem to have this file,
> even though I installed Tcl/Tk 8.4.1.  Thus, the _tkinter won't
> build.  How can this be?

On SuSE, it is installed as part of the tcl-devel package. It is an
internal header, though, so it appears not to be universally
available.

I need it to implement the type checks, as it declares symbols like
tclBooleanType. Unfortunately, Tcl developers appear to consider this
symbol internal.

Fortunately, they offer a lookup-by-name operation to find types,
which is now used in _tkinter.c 1.133. For efficiency, I cache the
lookup of the relevant types.

Regards,
Martin