[Python-Dev] Mac OSX issues

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 23:16:02 -0500

I have temporary access to a Mac OSX box.  I find the following
problems:

- test_re crashes unless I do ulimit -s 2000 -- haven't tried other
  values, but the default of 512 (KB) is insufficient.  I know the
  README file explains this, but now that I've experienced this
  myself, I wonder if we shouldn't hack main() to increase the stack
  size to 2 MB, inside an #ifdef darwin or something like that.

- test_socket fails with errno 3, 'Unknown server error' on a
  socket.gethostbyaddr() call.  Does anybody know what that is about?

- test_locale fails with a complaint about "1,024" vs. "1024".  Since
  this is probably a libc bug (though wouldn't this also occur on
  other BSD systems?) I can live with it.

- test_largefile takes a *very* long time.  Perhaps it actually
  creates a truly large file (the Mac OSX filesystem is case
  insensitive, so I suppose it may be so different that it doesn't
  support files with holes in them).  Maybe the test should disable
  itself (or part of itself) unless a specific resource is requested?