[Python-Dev] int/long FutureWarning

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:19:18 +0100

On Thursday, Nov 28, 2002, at 23:12 Europe/Amsterdam, Martin v. L=F6wis=20=

wrote:
>> Pardon me, but... wouldn't it have been better to defer
>> introducing these warnings until there *is* something
>> that can be done about them?
>
> That might be the case. At the time the warning was added, there was
> consensus that it is be easy to do something about each of them.

No, there was no consensus. I have screamed loudly about it, but things
went ahead anyway. Note that I'm not complaining about this: that's the
way it goes in a group project, but let's not try to rewrite history...

>  It
> was only detected later that it is not easy in some cases (strictly
> speaking, you can correct all the warnings today, taking, for example,
> the approach that Jack would take, of adding a custom conversion
> function into your C modules).

No, that does *not* help (as I have explained umpteen times). As the
warning is given by the parser there is absolutely nothing you can do
about it with a PyArg_ParseTuple converter.

There are of course workarounds (like adding, for 2.3 only, an "L"
to all the constants in addition to the custom converter) but that would
be silly because things will work again in 2.4.
--
- Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com>       =20
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -