[Python-Dev] int/long FutureWarning

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 15:53:47 +0100

On Friday, Nov 29, 2002, at 14:45 Europe/Amsterdam, Martin v. L=F6wis=20
wrote:
>> But note that these long/int warnings are especially obnoxious: as
>> they are given by the parser you cannot turn them off with a
>> filterwarning in the module itself, you have to go out and find each
>> and every module importing them.
>
> A patch contributing a future import statement would be appreciated.

Someone will have to give me a hand with this: I could probably figure=20=

out
how normal future imports work (although I've never done one), but this=20=

is one
of those hairy ones that needs a hook in the parser. And that's an area=20=

of
Python that has always frightened me to no end...

By the way, on the other part of the patch, the format specifiers: the=20=

discussion
last July petered out before there was consensus on the format chars=20
needed.
One option was to add "k" to mean "uint32", and possibly, for=20
completeness' sake,
"Q" to mean uint64.

Another option was to add "k1", "k2", "k4" and "k8", to mean uint8,=20
uint16, uint32
and uint64. "k1" and "k2" would be synonyms for "B" and "H", but this
would make the k-format-family consistent.
--
- Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com>       =20
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -