[Python-Dev] Re: PEP239 (Rational Numbers) Reference Implementation and new issues

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu, 03 Oct 2002 14:22:30 +1200 (NZST)

Andrew Koenig <ark@research.att.com>:

> The real point is to have small, efficient rational representations
> for floating-point numbers, even those with large exponents.

But how long are they going to *stay* small and efficient,
once you start doing arithmetic on them?

The problem as I see it is not the magnitude of the number, but that
the number of significant bits grows without bound, if you never throw
any of them away.