[Python-Dev] Re: PEP239 (Rational Numbers) Reference Implementation and new issues

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu, 03 Oct 2002 15:07:19 +1200 (NZST)

Raymond Hettinger <python@rcn.com>:

> The HP32SII calculator implements a useful rational model using
> flags and a maximum denominator register.  If the first flag is clear,
> fractions are have denominators upto the maximum value.  If only
> the first flag is set, fractions always use the maximum denominator
> as the denominator and are then reduced (i.e. if the max is 8, then
> .5 is represented as 1/2 and .1 is represented as 1/8).

I can see that being useful when you're doing calculations
with, e.g. measurements in 64ths of an inch and you don't
care if anything smaller than that isn't quite exact.

But I get the impression that the folks who want rationals
in Python want them precisely because they're *always*
exact. If you couldn't rely on them to always be exact,
it would defeat the purpose.