[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 285 (Adding a bool type) extending it further

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 15:42:48 -0400

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002, Marcelo Matus wrote:

> Yes, I can use the &,|,~ operators,  and that is what I am doing right now.
>
> But your question also apply to the boolean type:
>
>   can't you just use an integer type and leave it like that?

Because Python is a delicate balancing act.  We try to make it easy to
learn *and* use for newcomers to programming; we try to make it easy to
learn *and* use for experienced programmers; we try to keep the core
language small; we try to make it powerful.  Start up interactive Python
and type "import this" for the extended version of this philosophy.

So, specifics: Guido resisted adding a boolean type for a long time,
believing that it would clutter things.  Ten years of experience shows,
though, that almost every medium-to-large application defines some kind
of boolean type internally.  Aggregate clutter is reduced by putting
Booleans into the language.

You want to make a base-level change like you're proposing, you need to
put in the legwork to convince people that it's a net improvement.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

Project Vote Smart: http://www.vote-smart.org/