[Python-Dev] Python with MinGW-2.0?

Andrew MacIntyre andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 11:38:34 +1100 (edt)

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, David Abrahams wrote:

> I'd really like to support this platform for the upcoming Boost.Python
> release, but it appears that MinGW-2.0 is unable to link to imported data
> (e.g. PyType_Type) from a stock Win32 import library such as the one that
> comes with the regular Windows install of Python.

My limited experience with MingW 1.1 and a DLL that contained data (and
code) in the import library as well as the imports suggests that the
import library has to be rebuilt to the .a format and split between static
(code+data objs) and dynamic (import) libraries.  This is messy & tedious
to do, but seems to work (I couldn't figure out a way to combine the
static objs & imports into the one .a library, though I wasn't able to
spend a great deal of time on it).

I gather MS "enhanced" the import library format somewhere along the line,
and MingW's ld doesn't deal with it (yet).

E-mail: andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia