[Python-Dev] test_pep277 vs Win98

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sat, 05 Oct 2002 21:05:14 -0400

[martin@v.loewis.de]
> Repeating my question: How can I hand-force a config symbol to True on
> NT+ and to False on W9x?

It seemed like a rhetorical question in context <wink>, but if it's serious
then offhand I'm not sure.  If it's something we agree is desirable, then it
needs to be a runtime decision on Windows (given that Python supports this
stuff under NT+ but not (yet) under Win9x, and we only ship one Windows
binary).  One way to distinguish between NT+ and Win9x at runtime is in the
module initialization for winsound.c.  It's easy in C but exceedingly
non-obvious.  A more principled way would be to test for the existence of a
relevant system DLL function; I expect only Mark would know whether there is
such a beast in this case.