[Python-Dev] Non-ASCII characters in test_pep277.py in 2.3

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 07 Oct 2002 15:02:10 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>You could, but the whole point of PEP 263 is that the source code
>>encoding is made explicit, so removing the cookie would defeat the
>>purpose. Note that the cookie also implicitly tests the PEP 263
>>implementation.
>

> I'm still not 100% comfortable with using arbitrary coding cookies in
> the Python distribution.  I like having the feature, but I would
> prefer if the Python source distribution could be viewed with tools
> that aren't encoding-aware.  On my Red Hat 7.2 Linux box, I have found
> no programs that understand the UTF8 cookie.

I just checked my SuSE 8.0 XEmacs and it seems that it doesn't
come with the UTF-8 coding system installed either.

> They all seem to default
> to Latin-1.  Since I also don't really want to assume Latin-1, I'd
> prefer if we could stick to ASCII, with the exception of tests
> explicitly needed for PEP 263.  I don't want to make test_pep277.py an
> implicit PEP 263 test.

Fine with me. I guess we ought to document this somewhere in the
Python core programming style guide (if such a document exists ;-).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH