[Python-Dev] Non-ASCII characters in test_pep277.py in 2.3

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
07 Oct 2002 18:09:40 +0200

Sjoerd Mullender <sjoerd@acm.org> writes:

> When I execute the three lisp form that were mentioned in the page I
> pointed you to*, my XEmacs does recognize utf-8 encoding automatically.
> I just find-file a file which contains UTF-8 encoded data and I see
> all sorts of accented characters (the ones I expect to see even!).
[...]
> (set-coding-priority-list '(utf-8))
> (set-coding-category-system 'utf-8 'utf-8)

That's a slightly different issue: the question is whether it will
recognize the coding of test_pep277.py even without specifying a
coding priority list.

Setting the priority list to utf-8 is a good thing as long is it does
not exist to save all new files in UTF-8, then.

Regards,
Martin