[Python-Dev] segmentation fault with python2.3a0 from cvs

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Mon, 07 Oct 2002 14:09:38 -0400

[Gerson Kurz]
> I compiled with DevStudio 6, and the import works (at least in the
> debug build, but thats the only one I checked). I compiled
> python unter cygwin using "--with-pydebug", but to the same
> effect: cygwins' python.exe raises a segmentation fault. So maybe,
> just maybe, its a fault of cygwin ?

Dunno.  If cygwin emulates the Linux malloc overcommitment policies, memory
faults of this nature are unavoidable, and there's nothing we can do about
it.  There's something you can do about it, though:  don't create 4+MB
source files to begin with.  I don't take problems from such tomfoolery
seriously, although the younger folks here might <wink>.