[Python-Dev] Python 2.2.2b1 checkin freeze

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 08 Oct 2002 16:48:48 -0400

> > On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 05:45:59PM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> >> I've committed the last changes for Python 2.2.2b1 -- the Misc/NEWS
> >> file.  I'm now going to follow the rest of the PEP 102 script until
> >> the release is done.  In the mean time, please no more checkins to the
> >> 2.2 branch!

Sorry, the freeze is over, since I did the beta release last night.  I
should've mentioned that.

> Sigh, just got around to giving 2.2.2b1 a first spin on MacOS9
> (yes, I'm back since saturday but didn't have email access until
> yesterday, so it's only since this afternoon I'm aware of the
> 2.2.2 schedule), and it crashes the machine hard in the test
> suite after gobbling up all memory. The problem may be in
> test_class, or it could be the victim of an earlier memory
> problem, I'm still investigating. Ah, found it! It's the stack
> limit problem I ran into with 2.3a0 too. So, this particular fix
> should be okay to check in (it's in the mac-only .mcp project)
> but I'll wait for an okay from you anyway.

Go ahead.  You may also run into a problem in test_b1.py (allocating a
list of size sys.maxint/4); Tim will fix in a change there that should
fix it by making that sys.maxint/2 (!).

> If I find more problems I think the options are (I think)
> - I refrain from checking anything in until 2.2.2 for unix/win
> has been released, then I grab hold of the maint branch and
> check fixes in and we release MacPython 2.2.2 with a slightly
> different set of sources, or
> - You hold up the release process until I've found the problem
> and fixed it, and then we do 2.2.2b2 to make sure the fix
> doesn't break any other platforms.
>
> It's your call,

Please do all the checkins on the Mac branch you want.

For checkins in the rest of the code, I think you should use your
normal caution but please fix things that are broken!