[Python-Dev] Non-ASCII characters in test_pep277.py in 2.3

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen@xemacs.org
Wed, 09 Oct 2002 21:10:36 +0900

    >> Did you try to open the file in IDLE? What other tools are you
    >> using?

    Guido> XEmacs.  The particular version or configuration I'm using
    Guido> apparently doesn't recogize the coding cookie.

No current XEmacs recognizes cookies in the second line.  I tried it,
it broke, I backed it out, had a bad attack of day job, and forgot to
fix the patch.  :-(

This may[1] work in 21.4.10.  The code is moderately complicated because
we have to deal with all the different linebreaking conventions in the
raw buffer.  I wish I could work on an editor that only needs to deal
with Lisp, Python, and XML....

You will need to use Mule-UCS (the package that provides un-define) to
get Unicode (any flavor of UTF) support in XEmacs 21.4.  You probably
don't want latin-unity if you're playing with cookies, because it
currently incorrectly complains about cookies that are OK.  (This is
also EOL breakage.  :-=FE)

Footnotes:=20
[1]  Assuming the new patch isn't broken in a new way, and has to be
backed out.

--=20
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences     http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac=
.jp
University of Tsukuba                    Tennodai 1-1-1 Tsukuba 305-8573 JA=
PAN
have much nostalgia for Perl, so its faults I remember.  Scott Gilbert c.l.=
py