[Python-Dev] Non-ASCII characters in test_pep277.py in 2.3

Neil Hodgson nhodgson@bigpond.net.au
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:04:04 +1000

Stephen J. Turnbull:

> No current XEmacs recognizes cookies in the second line.  I tried it,
> it broke, I backed it out, had a bad attack of day job, and forgot to
> fix the patch.  :-(

   Where did the coding cookie originally come from? It seems to have
arrived in Python from somewhere else, probably Emacs but I couldn't find a
reference in PEP-263. Googling with a couple of sets of relevant terms
didn't reveal anything good within the top references. I have just
implemented the start of this feature in my SciTE editor and would like to
ensure it is compatible with other editors.

   Neil