[Python-Dev] Where is this flag coming from?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 20:30:35 -0400

    GvR> Maybe we should be more conservative and add this option only
    GvR> for Solaris?

That was one suggestion I made when we talked about it last.  Sounds
like it's probably the right approach to whitelist the platforms we
know are broken without it.  I'm running a test on SF's compile farm
Solaris machine now.

    GvR> How does one detect Solaris in setup.py?  How about this
    GvR> patch (on top of the above one, not replacing it)?

That's what I'm trying.

    GvR> I hope that Skip/Barry can test this on MacOS X and Martin on
    GvR> Solaris!

I'll try OSX momentarily.

    GvR> Note: the 2.3 setup.py contains other uses of
    GvR> runtime_library_dirs, which probably need to be treated the
    GvR> same way.

But maybe not.  If you install any modern BerkeleyDB from source it
always sticks it in a non-standard location.  Hmm, maybe a blacklist
is more useful for this one?  Jeez this stuff sucks.

    GvR> Skip, can you cook up patches there?  (The 2.2.2
    GvR> fix for ssl also needs to be forward-ported!)

Right, sorry, I'll do that if Guido's changes pans out for Solaris,
Linux, and OSX.

(Side note: I think I will have a few more minor patches for the email
package, which I'll try to get into 2.2.2 tonight, if my cold will lay
low for a few hours.)

-Barry