[Python-Dev] Where is this flag coming from?

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 22:38:02 -0500

    TR> Am I out to lunch on the idea that the logic should be in
    TR> Lib/distutils/unixccompiler.py where the -R is added?

    BAW> That's what Skip checked in but only for Python 2.3 it seems.  I'm
    BAW> a little confused now about what should be ported from 2.2.2 to
    BAW> 2.3, but maybe I'm still foggied headed from my cold.

I thought this was only a 2.3 thing.  I just tried on the release22_maint
CVS branch.  The bsddb module compiled and linked fine, but I don't know
why.  Oh, wait a minute...  The release22_maint branch doesn't have the
bsddb bells and whistles I added to setup.py a couple months ago.
Consequently, it's picking up the 1.85 version of the include file and
library (which, I will remind people has known breakage).

Should I backport those changes?  I think what's in 2.3's setup.py is much
more robust, but if people have been getting Berkeley DB 1.85 libraries in
2.2.1 and don't get a clean compile in 2.2.2 without editing setup.py
because 1.85 is all they have available, that might be construed as "more
than a bugfix".

Let me know what you want to do in this regard Guido.

Skip