[Python-Dev] Re: resource.setrlimit on OSX [was:Tests failing in MacPython 2.2.2]

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:41:51 +0200

On donderdag, oktober 10, 2002, at 09:27 , Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     Steve> Yes, that fix still works for me and No, I'm not
> running it as
>     Steve> root, but I am still running 10.1.5, so if it's not
> working for
>     Steve> you, maybe it's a 10.1 vs 10.2 problem.
>
> Alas, from what I've seen on the pythonmac-sig, this seems to
> be a common
> theme...

Don't worry: the recent flurry of discussion is all about
MacPython, not about unix-Python. Forward compatibility from
10.1 to 10.2 for unix programs is pretty good, the only problem
I've seen (runtime-wise, that is) is with programs using curses.

What *is* bothersome, though, is that you cannot easily create a
program on 10.2 that is backwards compatible to 10.1. Now this
is probably true on most Unix platforms, but Apple has all this
wonderful versioning infrastructure for frameworks, and then
they don't use it themselves:-(
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -