[Python-Dev] Why does the Windows installer use the shortname formof the install directory?

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:26:08 -0400

[Tim]
> I *like* your suggestion to skip this unless there's an embedded
> space, I just seem unable to do anything about it now (but it would
> still be for 2.3 -- mucking with 2.2 is too dangerous).

[Thomas Heller]
> I did a quick check: the online pdf file does say exactly the same
> as the online help (which is still in windows help format).
> It pops up when youu press F1 in this dialog.  If even this does not
> work on win 98 <wink>, I can post the text here.

Better, if this interests you, how about you submit a (tested) patch that
skips the convert-to-short business unless there's an embedded space?  This
isn't going to become a priority for me -- it's a "doctor! doctor!" thing.
That is, the installer suggests a path that isn't going to confuse anyone,
no way, no how.  When someone insists on making life more difficult, my
capacity for empathic outrage is limited <wink>; top-level directories
haven't been a limited critical resource since FAT faded away.