[Python-Dev] Can Zope be built on MacOSX?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 18:56:12 -0400

[Skip]
> I downloaded Zope 2.6.0b1 today from zope.org and tried to build it
> with Python from CVS, which failed, then Python 2.2.2 (also from
> CVS, but which should be between 2.2.2b1 and 2.2.2final), which also
> failed.  Upon closer examination, it seems 2.1.x is required for
> Zope 2.5, though the doc/INSTALL.txt file says nothing about what
> Zope 2.6 requires.  I then pulled the release21-maint branch of CVS
> and tried to build it on MacOSX.  It failed spectacularly trying to
> compile Python/dynload_next.c

I'm hardly an expert on building Zope on MacOSX, but it's my
understanding that Zope 2.6 ought to work with Python 2.2.2 (as well
as 2.2.2b1) even though this is not officially supported.  Ditto for
CVS trunk ("Python 2.3").

I can also believe that Python 2.1.3 doesn't build on MacOSX -- MacOSX
simply didn't exist when we released 2.1.  AFAIK Jack hasn't really
backported all the work he did for MacOS to 2.1 -- and I doubt he ever
will.

> Am I wasting my time trying to build Zope on MacOSX?

I wouldn't say that.

What failures did you see with ~2.2.2?

(Maybe take this offline or to a Zope list?)