[Python-Dev] float atime/mtime/ctime - a bad idea?

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
16 Oct 2002 17:21:26 +0200

Kevin Jacobs <jacobs@penguin.theopalgroup.com> writes:

> Why break all modules when only one needs the old behavior?  Think about how
> from __future__ import is set up.

Nothing will break; that's the entire purpose of this change.

> By name -- anyone who wants a floating point value can request
> fst_mtime vs. st_mtime, or whatever.

Been there, done that (posixmodule.c 2.254). Please understand that,
after the transitional phase, fst_mtime is what everyone will use.
This is plain ugly, since it is inconsistent with the names of all
other fields. So all we need to do is to accommodate the transition,
and we do that with Guido's proposed change.

Regards,
Martin