[Python-Dev] Re: Moving to Unicode 3.2

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
19 Oct 2002 17:06:43 +0200

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:

> I haven't seen any messages about this on python-dev. Did I miss
> something ?

No. For a change like this, I did not think consultation was
necessary.

> The switch from Unicode 3.0 is a big one since 3.2 introduces
> non-BMP character points for the first time.

I disagree; it's a small change. Just look at the patch itself: apart
from the (considerably large) generated data, there were very few
actual changes to source code: Changing a few limits was sufficient.

Since there are no backwards compatibility issues, and no design
choices (apart from the choice of updating the database at all), this
is a straight-forward change.

> I also don't think that it is a good idea to ship the Unicode
> 3.2 database while the code behaves as defined in Unicode 3.0.

Can you please elaborate? What code behaves as defined in Unicode 3.0
that is incompatible with the Unicode 3.2 database?

> And last not least, I'd like to be asked before you make such
> changes.

I find this quite a possessive view, and I would prefer if you bring
up technical arguments instead of procedural ones, but ok...

I was under the impression that I can apply my own professional
judgement when deciding what patches to apply without consultation, in
what cases to ask on python-dev, and when to submit a patch to SF.

Apparently, this impression is wrong. Can you please give precise
instructions what constitutes "such a change"?

Also, should I back this change out?

Regards,
Martin