[Python-Dev] Precompiled headers

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
23 Oct 2002 00:54:11 +0200

Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com> writes:

> Also, are precompiled headers an Apple addition to gcc, or are they
> available on all platforms?

It's an Apple addition. Apple has a long-standing plan to contribute
this back, but there are several things in the way; mainly that it is
a large ugly hack.

> I'm interested in trying this because when I started using precompiled
> headers for MacPython with the CodeWarrior compiler the build time for
> a complete Python tree want down by about 70%, so that's definitely
> worth a little effort...

I find the compile times of the Python tree on my Pentium 930MHz
system to be accceptable, so I'd personally rather avoid a feature
with the potential of producing incorrect binaries.

Regards,
Martin