[Python-Dev] Incorporating bsddb3

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:01:17 -0500

> Thanks for the encouragement. I really need PythonLab's permission
> here, though, since it will affect what the Windows distribution
> contains.
>
> If the political issues can be settled, working out the build process
> for Windows should be easy.

Barry will send an email to Sleepycat to ask exactly what the
restrictions on binary redistribution are.

There's also the issue of upgrading.  Suppose someone has created a
database using bsddb in Python 2.2.  When they upgrade to Python 2.3,
they'll get an exception when they open the database, because
Sleepycat DB 4.x can't open BSD DB 1.85 databases.  What do we tell
them to do?