[Python-Dev] Becoming a python contributor

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer@conectiva.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 20:40:46 -0300

Hello!

After a long time of inactivity, I hope to be back to some python
hacking. Before getting into any coding, I'd like to discuss with
you some conceptual and boring stuff I have in my mind.

In the past I have given small contributions to the python standard
distribution. Unfortunately (for myself), I slowed down until I stopped
contributing, even though I have a great affect by the interpreter. Now
I realize that one of the reasons I've stopped contributing is because
there's a large inertia in getting stuff reviewed. The reason why this
is happening seems more aparent now that I was off for a while: there's
a small core of very busy developers working on core/essential/hard
stuff *and* in code reviewing as well.

At the same time, I've seen Guido and others bothered a few times
because of the lack of man power. So the question is: how do I, a
developer which feels capable of helping in python's development, can
get some of the tasks which take your time out of your hands? Or even,
how is it possible to improve some part of the development process by
giving people like me some instructions? Also, isn't it easy to point
out what's wrong in a commit from someone who is following the
development process for a while than taking the time to review its code
in the sourceforge patch system?

My feeling is that the Python development is currently overly
centralized, and that you might be suffering from that now, by being
unable to handover some of your tasks to someone else. I feel that
everytime I send a patch, besides being contributing, I'm also
overloading you with more stuff to review and comment and etc. Perhaps
the fallback costs for some wrong commit is too high now (did I heard
someone mentioning subversion?)?!

Could someone please discuss that issues with me, and perhaps just kick
me away saying that I'm crazy? :-)

--
Gustavo Niemeyer

[ 2AAC 7928 0FBF 0299 5EB5  60E2 2253 B29A 6664 3A0C ]