[Python-Dev] PyString_DecodeEscape and PEP293

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
01 Sep 2002 23:31:26 +0200

Walter D=F6rwald <walter@livinglogic.de> writes:

> A recent checkin added a function PyString_DecodeEscape()
> to stringobject.c. To make this function PEP293 compatible
> it would need access to unicode_decode_call_errorhandler
> which is defined static in unicodeobject.c. Does
> PyString_DecodeEscape() really need an errors argument?

What do you mean, "really need"? The callers of this function pass the
argument, in particular escape_decode. Is that "real"?

> If yes, we could either move it to unicodeobject.c=20

No. It has to do little with Unicode.

> or make unicode_decode_call_errorhandler externally visible.

I don't know this function. What does this have to do with Unicode?

> Another problem that I noticed is that string-escape can't
> be used for encoding Unicode objects:

That is a feature. string-escape has nothing to do with Unicode.

Regards,
Martin