[Python-Dev] Re: Python-dev summary for 2002-08-15 - 2002-09-01

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 12:48:47 -0400

    TP> I usually add <> to http thingies when I remember to.  A
    TP> couple people yelled at me, claiming their readers couldn't
    TP> recognize http thingies otherwise.  This seems particularly
    TP> odd, since I almost always put them on their own line:

    TP>     http://www.python.org

As do I.

    TP> OTOH, *my* reader doesn't recognize them in the

    TP>     <URL:http://www.python.org>

    TP> style, neither with nor without <>.

Mine does too, but it's not the <> that is the distinguishing feature,
AFAIK.  The <> seem to be most useful for inline urls where trailing
punctuation gets incorrectly attached to the url.

-Barry